Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Roommate. A poem on battling depression.(Written for a Competition in a time-limit of 1 hour)

On an endless winter night as in the cold I lay,
A stranger at my doorstep,begging for a place to stay.

Dressed in blue,her pale glassy eyes shone,
How did she know I lived here alone?

Unfolding the blanket of time,her tiny legs she spread,
Melancholy of my soul exposed,filling me with dread.

I fed her fears,my dreams she starved,
My skin a canvas for the scars she carved.

Dark circles under my eyes,shadows of the night,
The monster now on the bed,hiding in plain sight.

Her thoughts so dark,off the edge they would wander,
Should we end it on a high?We would often ponder.

We met in secret,between her shadow and  my soul.
Alone in our togetherness,will I ever again feel whole?

"Are you okay?" they ask,But they don't want to know,
In a dark place like this,what can ever grow?

She screamed out the quiet confusion of my heart,
Where do broken hearts go, I ask ,to mend and start?

She handed me a blade,beckoned me to be brave,
But I wondered,will life stand proudly at my grave ?

She'd changed me so much that I'd stopped being me,
When you're your own enemy how does one truly flee?

To welcome my future,I had to show her the door,
With every passing day,lifted my spirits off the floor.

Some days its hard,but to my hope I cling,
The day she left I realised,it had always been spring.




5 comments: